Thursday, May 28, 2009

Faking It... With Style

Love designer bags, but not the designer price tags?

(I expect everyone to say yes.)

Well, then why don't you crochet one? I came across this life-changing website this morning. The Counterfeit Crochet Project was created by Stephanie S. in 2006. A short description from her site goes:

"In 2006 I created a website soliciting crocheters to join me in hand-counterfeiting designer handbags: Fendi, Gucci, Chanel, Prada, etc. Participants troll the internet and choose a design that they particularly covet, working off of low-resolution jpgs which they download.

...

I am also interested in how this project parallels and diverges from contemporary capitalist factory production and distribution channels.

As a collaboration it parallels the idea of "outsourcing" labor, but also adds a democratic and perhaps anarchic level of creativity--within the basic framework, participants have taken liberties with their translations, changing colors, adding materials (cardboard, hot glue, etc.) to suit their needs.

Makers are encouraged to keep and wear their bags, in an attempt to insert strange variants into the stream of commerce and consumption. I ask for people to send me snapshots of their items to share with others.

This is an ongoing global project, with makers from all over the world. I am always seeking more collaborators, so please contact me to join up! In 2007 the project travelled to Manila, Beijing, and Istanbul for exhibitions and counterfeiting workshops."

This is my favorite of the bunch:

Now I'm trying to find a bag that I can *attempt to* counterfeit. When I do, I hope that I have the time and guts to crochet it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? :)